Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Default how to manage 2 website directions

hello all,

I am searching for the best solution to my problem. I want to start (continue) business hosting, and designing websites. Currently I have a blog which focuses on PHP programming.

Now, should I use one address and host the blog and company site or should I separate the two sides? Having one side just sell sites and the other for my blog.

I am afraid to combine the two because potential clients may not find interest in the blog and it may even turn some away.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM

well i suggest you to visit this site jump2top.com they will help you with your concern..
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM

haha as soon as i saw the header, i knew where this was going!

ok, well ill combine the two then, i was just afraid of it scaring away potential customers!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Branding Issues

Branding issues like this are always fun. Here is the my opinion (for what it's worth -- we're in the process of making a similar decision ourselves ).

Here are some advantages I see in combining the sites:
  • One big brand is better than two little brands
  • Can you make both brands succeed? Yes, but that is hard to do. Much easier to umbrella both things under one brand.
  • If your blog is on PHP programming, that is very relevant to people with hosting accounts and web designers. As far as people who don't need to know the code, if nothing else, I would think it helps establish authority and trust for the site as a whole. I don't imagine someone coming to your site, going "hey, I just might be wanting to buy their hosting." and then seeing that you have an in depth php type blog and then changing their mind.
  • Having said that, if you do it on one site, you might add in some other content as well (hosting tutorials and that sort of thing come to mind).
  • Another point is one concerning SEO and search engines. The engines (as they operate now) give weight to your domain, as well as to the individual pages within the site. If you have more services your company is rendering, then you will (hopefully) be getting more links to the various offerings on your site, thus raising the overall ranking of every page on the entire domain.

The disadvantages I see.

Potentially coming off as a "we do everything company, and we do that other stuff too! Really! We are an expert at everything!" This is something I worry about a lot

Segmenting your market. Ok, so in your case, one group of people might be following your blog because of programming advice (what is the link to your blog anyway? ), another to host their sites, and another want a web site. Those are semi-related fields, so you'd be fine. It would be more confusing (in my mind at least) to sell shoes and web design or something like that.

I think you can definitely get away with putting it all under one site and be okay, but you should keep in mind some of the problems that brings.

Hope that helps!
Seth Stacey
Firemaker Design
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Default re

The SaaS provider has the responsibility of ensuring that the service is available 24/7/365. SaaS Directory