Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoak
mgirl,,,
i think the shorter the better...short and catchy....like zappos, aarons hats, make mine pink, blacktalon....
..and have the different routs, us or australia , inside your web....mainly you want to have a name they can remember......and is related to what you are about ... if they can remember most of it they can google you...
I tend to disagree.. people bookmark sites they like, so the url is not that important. You don't type in www.small-business-forum.com every time you come here? Even individual pages get bookmarked... for all else there is Google which should rank you for your keywords - and if that fails then PPC is there for you.

Generally people navigate the web by clicking ads or links - typing in names is pretty rare.

Just don't make the domain obscenely long - this forum is at least 20 characters

regards
James
Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM

i look for companies to buy from...and hear about them on line on forums , in mags , etc...and typically , later, sometimes lots later when i need to know and have a minute , i try and look them up..so for me i have to have some memory of the name.....
.. my bookmarking is too big now and i dont add much until i get pretty interested ....
for us all they have to remember is greenoak.... and google will find us...
like i would remember the name radio girl ,, way better than sjonesllctoronto..or lynn@wvro....
its just a great name...and is about what she is about.....

[url]www.greenoakantiques.com[/url]
Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 PM

From an seo technical standpoint... if you would like to benefit from the keywords in your domain name you should choose non compounded words... the benefits would surely be minimal... but links directed towards your website containing those words would help towards your rankings. Compaound words are not common search phrases people use...

Example...

www.website-example.com ( will turn up for the searches website and example )

www.websiteexample.com ( will turn up for the search websiteexample only )

That being said... it is more important to worry about the impression your domain name makes... how memorable it is... and how easy it is to type...

SaaS for small business

Last edited by JamesW : 10-24-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW
From an seo technical standpoint... if you would like to benefit from the keywords in your domain name you should choose non compounded words... the benefits would surely be minimal... but links directed towards your website containing those words would help towards your rankings. Compaound words are not common search phrases people use...

Example...

www.website-example.com ( will turn up for the searches website and example )

www.websiteexample.com ( will turn up for the search websiteexample only )

That being said... it is more important to worry about the impression your domain name makes... how memorable it is... and how easy it is to type...
I'm not sure that if your url is websiteexample and your title and or h1 is website example that google can't figure it out. I do the website-example approach, but I'm not convinced one way or the other if it matters. I haven't run into any posts where people have done tests on this.

Vangough (or anybody else), if you are around, got any opinions?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoak
its registered/owned but unused...i dont get that.....
I don't get that either, it's rude.

Adding a hyphon is interesting. It reminds me of an online record store i know of. The name is great, the site looks good, but they have used too many hypons in their URL. If i want to go to their shop, i need to Google them first as i can never remember their URL.

I just think with all the competition out there, who's got time to Google a store when you can just go straight to their domain name?

I guess if i were to use a hyphon in any of my domain names, i would want to draw people's attention to it in my advertising.

If you are a big company and are guaranteed of coming up in a Google search, the hypon may not matter, but as i said, how many people are prepared to go to Google instead of just typing the name in to the browser?

I would love to see some research on this.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgirl
I don't get that either, it's rude.

Adding a hyphon is interesting. It reminds me of an online record store i know of. The name is great, the site looks good, but they have used too many hypons in their URL. If i want to go to their shop, i need to Google them first as i can never remember their URL.

I just think with all the competition out there, who's got time to Google a store when you can just go straight to their domain name?

I guess if i were to use a hyphon in any of my domain names, i would want to draw people's attention to it in my advertising.

If you are a big company and are guaranteed of coming up in a Google search, the hypon may not matter, but as i said, how many people are prepared to go to Google instead of just typing the name in to the browser?

I would love to see some research on this.
The point of using the hyphen is for Google. If you are fortunate enough to have a name people remember thats great. Say you have hpprinters.com vs hp-printers.com. Google will view that as "hp printers" if you use the hyphen. They may not be able to figure it out without the hyphen. It's a SEO thing.

The thing is if your title tag is hp printers, they may be able to figure it out. I've never seen this confirmed by a SEO expert however.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanks for that Bill. I guess it comes down to SEO vs. traditional marketing.

Going on what has happened with that record store website, i think i would be more inclined to market my site and encourage people to remember the brand name, rather than rely on SEO.

But, i guess it all depends on what you are selling. If you are selling generic, staple products, it may be a good idea to rely on SEO more than traditional advertising. Not saying it is impossible to build brand loyalty to a generic, staple product, what i am saying is that i 'think' people would be more inclinded to search for the product rather than for a specific company.

That being said, it is not impossible to build loyalty once the user gets to your site.

I guess my bone of contention comes down to having a compelling and memorable domain name so there is never a doubt in the consumer's mind as to where they should be going. I would even go as far as to say that i would ideally love to come up with a domain name where the user NEVER has to go to Google to look it up

Just my points.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgirl
Thanks for that Bill. I guess it comes down to SEO vs. traditional marketing.

Going on what has happened with that record store website, i think i would be more inclined to market my site and encourage people to remember the brand name, rather than rely on SEO.

But, i guess it all depends on what you are selling. If you are selling generic, staple products, it may be a good idea to rely on SEO more than traditional advertising. Not saying it is impossible to build brand loyalty to a generic, staple product, what i am saying is that i 'think' people would be more inclinded to search for the product rather than for a specific company.

That being said, it is not impossible to build loyalty once the user gets to your site.

I guess my bone of contention comes down to having a compelling and memorable domain name so there is never a doubt in the consumer's mind as to where they should be going. I would even go as far as to say that i would ideally love to come up with a domain name where the user NEVER has to go to Google to look it up

Just my points.
You can do both. If you have a good domain name and a hyphenated one, you can do a permanent redirect from one to the other.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benson
You can do both. If you have a good domain name and a hyphenated one, you can do a permanent redirect from one to the other.
Hmm, very GOOD idea!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benson
Good idea. I just want to add that you probably should invest in a few domains that look and sound like your brand, for example girlwidgets, girl-widgets, girlswidgets, girls-widgets. This will protect you from domain name squatters that will want to capitalize on your visitors' typos.