Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > STARTING A BUSINESS > 02 - Small Talk for Small Business
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Small Talk for Small Business General talk about Starting a Business -- Sponsored By: Opportunity World Magazine
Featured Opportunity: Make Millions in Real Estate
Featured Opportunity: Rotovac - Carpet Cleaning Business Opportunity

Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Uk-netmarketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteiner27 View Post
yes. Google is the best option for all your business needs....
You don't happen to work for Google by any chance?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
JamesW

Quote:
yes. Google is the best option for all your business needs....
I disagree... the natural serps are such an amazing concept... and for the most part Google does an excellent job of holding true to a democratic and free for all information rich web...

But Google is not the only solution... There are marketing networks out there which make virtually no use of search engines which can be significantly more valuable to a small business looking to reach it's audience... targeted marketing and advertising can yield significantly more traffic and higher conversion rates... for way way less less than any paid Google services... no offense to Google... but I have yet to see any serious winners from their advertising... it's almost like you need to have a big business budget to justify the expense... and I have seen other advertising networks put them to shame...

For the most part... not everybody knows your out there... so how is searching going to help you get noticed exactly? Passive advertising strategies alone are not always effective... and pro-active marketing can be accomplished without the expensive Google advertising programs... there are much more effective advertising networks which provide significantly more value for your dollar... ( can you say pro-active advertising? is it a correct term? )

From watching some clients hit and miss their mark with various strategies... I would have to say some of them would dead in the water if they relied on Google alone...

For the introverted technophile... Google rocks! For somebody with perhaps less content and more human interest appeal... it's not everything... for sure...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM
scpromos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRT View Post
1. A to-do list that we can all use together, not three to-do lists. That way, we can each add items, or take them off.

2. A joint calendar

3. Document storage

4. Group mailing list for business contacts

5. Project manager

There are probably other features we could use, but these are the main ones. The biggest stumbling block seems to b the simplest, which is a joint to-do list.
I came across Rememberthemilk.com which is an online task manager that will sync with Google Calendar and your Blackberry (additional cost). You can also add contacts and share tasks. Worth checking out.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
JamesW

I posted off topic... sorry...

Use Google apps... what's the big deal really... if you can't figure out how to work with your existing apps... then perhaps Google can give you to motivation to learn and collaborate...

Personally though... I haven't found a Google app I like yet... gmail... orkut... analytics... there is way better software out there... or perhaps software which I like better...

Google apps are what I would call experiments... rather than real solid solutions... jmo... some will stick... some won't... I think their calendar application is fairly popular though... never used it myself...

as for analytics... it will lie to you... you should cover your bases with more than just one statistics application....

and I don't think I'm ever going to like gmail...

Google base is dead in the water for sure... well maybe for not...

Open social looks promising...

Froogle sucks... jmo...

The organic serps is nice though... I think it's really the only thing which is of any interest regarding business to tell you the truth...

That and Google Talk... Google Talk rocks!

project management? I would be skeptical of making to a commitment to a third party project management system... any of them... once your there... you've made a considerable commitment which is not easy to back out of... if you can't organize your business without a "project management" software solution... then I'm not so sure an application is going to fix your problem... but I've never used Googles ( didn't know they had one really ) so I could be wrong...

For non complicated project management... use a forum... it will double for project management system quite easily... and if you go open source... you can modify it however you please when you think about it... and the learning curve to use will be null... people will have a better chance of understanding a project from the structure of a forum than they will from some strange project management convention... jmo...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Uk-netmarketer

Everything from Google looks like a GCSE IT project. They're all un-attractive feature-poor cobble-togethers that any 15-year-old with prototype and a couple of days spare could knock up.

Get a Mac and subscribe to .mac (mobile.me in a couple of weeks), and compare the two. Please, no-one really thinks any of the Google applications are any good, do they?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
elocman

Exclamation VIP Task Manager Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRT View Post
We are a small business of three partners and a few employees/independent contractors. We would like an intranet solution that is not too expensive. We three partners are not in the same place everyday, but we need to communicate together daily.

We would lie these features:

1. A to-do list that we can all use together, not three to-do lists. That way, we can each add items, or take them off.

2. A joint calendar

3. Document storage

4. Group mailing list for business contacts

5. Project manager

There are probably other features we could use, but these are the main ones. The biggest stumbling block seems to b the simplest, which is a joint to-do list.

Does anyone know of such a system? We have looked and found nothing that suits all our needs.

Thank you. (PS - I am glad to have found this forum, looks like a lot of good information.)
Hello there!
I can suggest you VIP Task Manager Pro - the software for group collaboration and task management by multiple users with simultaneous access to the common database through Local Network (LAN) and Low Speed Networks (Internet, VPN). It allows authorized users to plan, schedule, share, track and report tasks, appointments, projects, and any company activities.
Fill free to contact me. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Free Document Storage and Management for Small Businesses

I know that electronic document storage can be confusing and dangerous for small businesses, especially those that have to meet HIPPA standards or SEC standards. It can be a huge headache to find things when you have to retain as many records as insurance agencies do. It can also be costly and time-consuming to securely share documents.

I wanted to tell you about a new service that just launched a week or two ago. It is called DocLanding, www.doclanding.com, and it is a social document storage and collaboration tool. It has some great, one-of-a-kind security and sharing features. It is also offering free accounts for up to 256MB and 1 GB is only $9. Check it out if you are interested. It is completely Web-based and requires no downloads and takes up none of your computer’s storage. We are trying to provide small businesses with an inexpensive, easier version of what really big businesses use for document management.

If you would like any more information, please or check out our blog at http://blog.doclanding.com.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Default re

VPS Hosting is obviously cheaper and gives maximum satisfaction. Most VPS hosting companies can host multiple servers on one physical or host server by using virtual private server.
http://www.virtualmachines.net/high-availability/

Last edited by adrian_in9@yaho : 09-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.