Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 AM
sk8ramp

Default Real Estate Templates

I was asked to set up a website for a friend who is fairly computer illiterate. Does anyone know of a free real estate site template that has an easy control panel for modifications and updates? Kind of a cube cart kind of thing but for real estate?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
sk8ramp

Well I found what I was looking for, it is called Open Realty.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
JamesW

I have no idea what that product is... but... Have you considered what a real estate website is? Is there are better software solution or better software service available which you could use to build the site with?

I only say this... because people who give away software for free have a tendency to dump crap on other people...

Are you downloading somebody else's mess and are you going to be left to deal with it? Is your client going to wish they chose something easier to upgrade/manage/secure in a few short months?

I gave up on free software a long time ago... and it's not because my business is software... it's because before my business was software I spent countless hours downloading free software and wasting a good majority of my life trying to make other peoples junk work...

It's bad attitude... I know... you'd think that I would think my code would be perfect the way I say it... but my code is not... not always --- but more often then not ... and I'd never pawn it off to someone else to fix because I know how complicated code can get in a relatively short period of time... two different programmers code entirely differently... and in most cases think entirely differently too...

if your getting something for free you can rest assured it's because it will require a significant amount of work on your part to upgrade, fix, modify maintain... ect...

If your client needs a real estate website... do they need anything more than a gallery? Can you find a software service which will host the gallery and support the software for the long term and preferably upgrade the software in the future as well?

Are you limiting your softwar options by assuming that a real estate website must require a free software solution which is called a "real estate" software solution... when really... it could be anything...

I could be wrong... but I've been in a few threads where people have talked about "real estate" websites... and nobody can really give any specific reasons as to why a website has special requirements for a real estate agent in most cases... ( unless were talking about product feeds )

If they want to easily update the website themselves... why not show them how to use dreamweaver?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
JamesW

Specifically... this page here should give you an idea of what you can expect long term if you plan to support your customers website...

http://open-realty.org/download.html

If you look at the very latest release you will see that the software has a dependancy on the Adodb database abstration layer software...

SECURITY FIX: This version fixes a Remote Code Execution bug in Adodb Lite. All users should upgrade.

Which basically means.. everyone who doesn't upgrade has a nice security hole in their server which the whole world knows about... combine that with the fact that the software license requires that you identify the software's brand name... and you have to ask yourself if the "bug" in the adodb layer was intentional or not... just a thought...

remote code execution is a serious security problem... if your going to join the ranks of the open source community... I thought I should give you fair warning of what to expect long term...

again... I'm just ranting...
Old 05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
sk8ramp

I hear you James, but I am not a website designer, I just know enough to tweak templates, and the "client" is my mother. It is just for a few listings that she has outside of the company that she works for.

I have been playing with mods with the open realty templates. If you want to check out what I came up with heres the link. http://www.susiepalanza.com/index.php

Keep in mind I'm still working on it and I am a complete novice. Also there are a few jokes in there for her when she sees it.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM
JamesW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ramp View Post
I hear you James, but I am not a website designer, I just know enough to tweak templates, and the "client" is my mother. It is just for a few listings that she has outside of the company that she works for.

I have been playing with mods with the open realty templates. If you want to check out what I came up with heres the link. http://www.susiepalanza.com/index.php

Keep in mind I'm still working on it and I am a complete novice. Also there are a few jokes in there for her when she sees it.
Looks good... I can sign up for a good number of software services and get a similar template happening in a matter of minutes... the only difference is... I'm not going to be responsible for the security if I go with a service... YOU will be if you download that free software... that's my point...

Me Personally... I wouldn't dream of maintaining the server software, network, or mail server I run CMS's on... I pay somebody to do that... because I know what kind of a nightmare it can be...

Maybe there is a hosting service whom you can go to maintain upgrade and otherwise secure your Open Reality software...

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...by&btnG=Search

I guess since it's just your mom... then there are no worries... but give it a few months... and perhaps your business will no longer be skate ramps... and possibly it will become software maintenance...

[edit] the fact that the search function doesn't work should be the big red warning flag...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
sk8ramp

James, I totally respect your opinion since this is what you do, but I have to confess that I am not sure what you are on about here.

What maintenance? There is an admin CP where she can add/modify listings. As far as security, why would anyone take the time to hack a small town realty agents website? And if they did who cares? I'll just rebuild it.

And the search function works fine for me.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
JamesW

Quote:
James, I totally respect your opinion since this is what you do, but I have to confess that I am not sure what you are on about here.

What maintenance? There is an admin CP where she can add/modify listings. As far as security, why would anyone take the time to hack a small town realty agents website? And if they did who cares? I'll just rebuild it.

And the search function works fine for me.
Nobody needs to take the time to hack a website... they only need to find it... People build web crawlers that scan the web for software to which they try and hack... just like people harvest email addresses... other people scan the web for software exploits...

What Maintenance?

Some companies have entire IT departments which devote all their time to maintaining software... you might get lucky... you might never decide to do anything more with your software and you might decide to never upgrade it and you might never get hacked... but... there are many many many other people who don't end up so lucky... I've gotten the short end of the stick enough times to know that first hand and I've seen enough other people have it happen to them...

That's all... I'm just trying to save you a few days / weeks / months of time... but more importantly... I'm just trying to point out the red flags...

Open Realty Hosting Service??? Have you considered looking to a host which specializes in hosting real estate websites? Or even a website service which specializes in hosting galleries?

No your right... apparently the search does work if you click it a few times to figure out why the same listings show for every search even if the search turns up empty...

The site looks great... there is nothing wrong with it... so forget everything I have said... it's not actually a clients website... so really... it's all irrelevant...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
sk8ramp

I didn't use them as a host. I have my own host and I uploaded all the open realty files via my FTP. All I used was their template for the listings etc. and then modified the template with .css to look cool. I was actually somewhat proud of myself but now you have me feeling like I screwed up.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
JamesW

Quote:
I didn't use them as a host. I have my own host and I uploaded all the open realty files via my FTP. All I used was their template for the listings etc. and then modified the template with .css to look cool. I was actually somewhat proud of myself but now you have me feeling like I screwed up.
No... No... you didn't screw up... nothing you have done is a screw up... I'm sorry

But if you read the thread you'll understand that I'm trying to point out that your now going to be responsible for the "screw ups" of the developers... I realize that your not going to understand what I'm talking about until a little bit of time passes... so...

How did the wysiwyg installation go? Did you go with tinyMCE or FCK... I use fck and I really really wish I had looked around a bit more before I committed to it... but now I am stuck with it... it's taken me a few months... but I finally have it working the way I want it to...

Did you know that you can install a makeshift wysiwyg editor onto any page with one line of css code? Apparently you could do it since Internet Explorer version 4... it's actually inherently core functionality which exists within the browser itself and not something that either the tinyMCE or FCK does... It's probably why they can be so buggy from one browser to the next...