Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > STARTING A BUSINESS > 04 - The Business Plan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04 - The Business Plan Writing & Using a Business Plan

Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM

You are planning what the Dell was doing 20 years ago, but it's too later.
$1400 on what would be a $4000 computer
You can't find such bussiness, bacause the competetion make the profit of
computer very low.
If you can't produce a large number of computers, you cost will very higher then the Delll, so you can't earn any money.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Signs
You don't actually need any capitol. I have been doing this as a side job for over 10 years. The thing is that you probably won't be able to depend on it as a primary income for a while. What I do is mainly repair the PC's for customers, they call me and I have them drop the machine off at my home, then I repair it and call them. If I need a part thats not very expensive I buy it, if it costs more then $100 I call the customer and have them give me the money for the part then I order it. That way you wont get stuck with a $100 part they don't want. If a person wants a machine built, I spec it out and then show them the specs and total price, they pay me the money for the parts only. I buy, build, and then they pay the labor. I have been doing this for about 10 years, I have never once advertised a single bit and still get 2-3 machines a week by only word of mouth. Recently I have been getting more calls and have turned a few people with really old machines away.

You can do it this way and make a little profit to start and get your name out there, word of mouth will work the best for you to start. Main thing is to be cheaper than the local shops charge and have the machine back to them fixed asap! Customers love to hear it's finished the next day and that the bill isn't astronomical. I charge an hourly fee for labor ($30/hr), billed in 15 minute increments, and if I have to go to their home it's a minimum of 1/2 hour labor, even if I get there and fix it in 5 minutes. This has worked well for me and my customers are happy. Hope this helps.
Helped a lot, ty sir.

I've decided to put this idea on hold - I might be traveling and/or too busy with work to start this up, but I'm definitely going to keep the idea in the back of my head.

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful posts, everyone!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Im gonna have to disagree to another thread sorry

First thing you have to understand... you NEVER have competition with anyone but yourself... EVER. And if you do have competition than its becauce you are offering to the wrong people for the wrong things.

Find a market you can cater too that nobody else would ahve thought of... I can think of at elast 4 off the top of my head that I know to be a fact that they dont even bother looking online for computers and parts...

What you want to do is simple, dont bother following other guildines as rules, that is what seperates business powerhouse to small business.

Small business will always be small since they are always trying to be lime someone else... And guess what? they cant compete since someone else bigger and badder thought of it first...

CHEESBURGER STANDS OH MY GOSH!!! im sure you can think of lots of others that sell burgers... but only the TRULY innovative ones will stand out.

There are SOOOO many services you can offer as a personalized computer maker to anyone at all so long as you find a srength nobody else can offer, or at least doesnt emphasize, make that your selling point, and really run with it.

Subways got big becuase OMG, make your own sandwich, yea others maybe thought of it, but you know what, they were the first small shop to really push it.

Im sure when they came around some guys said hey there is a sandwich place its called "Sandwich hut" he said well cool but does sandwich hut let you make your OWN?

Bottom line here, dont let other companies intimidate you, there are many markets that dell wont bother avertising too, shoot there are even more markets out there that dell hasnt even touched on. Remember, online geeks go to dell.com, still lots of people wont even think twice to look online when you can just buy it at comp usa.

Your goal is a good way to market yourself after a steady plan to take off.

Dont let people tell you no. If it wasnt for the little guys stepping up we wouldnt have amazing things like delivery, make it yourself places, buffets or anything else.

You could be the next door to door PC repair guy/beer delivery dude?

Just get your pitch, push it and stick to it. make it cool to do what you do.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 AM

I actually tried this, buying bare bone systems and building them up to order. I did in fact sell a few, but you have to keep it cheap, and offer warranty's. Also the way to go is choose a market other then just the general public.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM

The thing is PC's are very cheap now, plus come with tons of goodies. Considering Dell's business model (how they keep inventory for a few hours I believe) it would be very difficult to bring in something unique in order to build profits
Old 11-23-2007, 02:53 AM

you are in the introductory stage, sell your product cheaper than the market and yeah don't forget warranty's. Find ways to differ your products from your competitors.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 AM

Default where I'd start...

I'd learn about business. That's the part that I see most computer builders/networkers fail at. They have the "to doing" skills -- just not any business sence.

Here's a place I recommend you start
http://www.theresourcequeen.com/favo...abusiness.html

And create a plan, even a one-pager.
http://www.theresourcequeen.com/favo...nessplans.html
Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 PM

that is a great idea, honestly i would never think of destroying your hope. ok I have a friend who is currently doing the exact same thing that you are talking about. He bought cheap computer parts, assemble the CPU himself, and sell them on Ebay. at first you don't need to think of competing with HP, Sony or whatever, you just want to sell a few cheap computers everymonth, you could also provide services in your neighborhood like my friends does, and he also sell computers at flea market..
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

This was my first baby.....System Recovery Services.... Pc repairs,upgrades,and sales. I offered a two year parts and labor warranty on all new pc's....Don't worry abuout buying in bulk.....Just pay close attention to all the major retail sites and there rebates.....also, there are hundreds of unheard of tiny tech companies in japan manufacturing mobos,mem.hd's,psu's etc. with comparable quality to the brand names for a fraction of the cost.....Get on there companies mailaing lists and investigate the safety and effectiveness of each product...I came to the conclusion that if your an idiot in America you can always be a painter, If your an idiot in Japan you can always develop quality computer components at a fraction of the cost. Most of all it depends on you...You alone decide if youll be selling and/or fixing pc's for your grandmother's shuffleboard team or (If your an extrovert) Supply and support businesses in your area and beyond. I loved it and made quite a sum of money from it. I sold my business to a few gentlemen from a local university forming a larger company in my area....It was either stay and work....or sell and play..........I sold...........I truly wish you the best of luck in your venture.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 PM

One suggestion I would make if all these other responses didn't dissuade you from something that I would suggest avoiding (As someone who has over 20 years in computers and IT), is DON'T spend all/if any profit.. Put some in a "Slush fund" for possible repairs (Parts, etc).

Offer a "Warranty", and use this fund to offer quality customer service in repairs. Computer components WILL break. And if you as the "Supplier" don't have a contingency fund to replace/repair these systems as they break, your reputation will proceed you. Not to mention you will not have the funds to make the expected/required repairs.

Pat