Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES > 01 - Business Opportunities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Business Opportunities Find the Perfect Business Opportunity -- Sponsored By: Opportunity World Magazine
Featured Opportunity:
GPS Heroes - Protecting What Matters Most
Featured Opportunity: Lifestyle Marketing Group - Make Money Online

Old 02-14-2005, 09:00 AM

Default i wanna be a reseller in web hosting...!

hey friends...i want to be reseller in web hosting.....!
But i dunno, how to start, and where to go. if somebody cud teach me all the basics 1 by 1, i wud appreciate it.

cause, later i think of starting of my own web design business, and for that i wud also need web hosting, but no idea on reselling. Like how to get the plans I need, how much charges, how to provide hosting to my customers, what to charge them, stuff like that.

thanks !
Mukesh
Old 02-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/. That forum is dedicated to web hosting, reselling, web design, and more. I'm sure you'll find a lot of informative posts and help there.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 AM

So what you wan to do is buy server space and then sell that server space as hosting for others?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:30 PM

Hi Mukesh,
Just bear in mind that reselling webhosting is a completely saturated market, so success would depend on some type of unique offering, or great service, or a big advertising budget.

Anyway, there are numerous providers that offer reseller accounts, just search around and you will find plenty. You will also need to learn quite a bit about hosting, because you will be providing support to your customers.

Before doing anything though, you really should write up a good business plan, and do the appropriate research.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd
Hi Mukesh,
Just bear in mind that reselling webhosting is a completely saturated market, so success would depend on some type of unique offering, or great service, or a big advertising budget.

Anyway, there are numerous providers that offer reseller accounts, just search around and you will find plenty. You will also need to learn quite a bit about hosting, because you will be providing support to your customers.

Before doing anything though, you really should write up a good business plan, and do the appropriate research.
Agreed -- it really is saturated and there are the big names like Yahoo! and MSN, and then internet provider usually have web hosting accounts for their clients, and also domain registration companies (like GoDaddy.com) also offer hosting. Obviously we could list all the bad and good ones, but it's the big ones that tend to reap in the profit. You may need something big to make your company a success.

I also see it as a negative that you're not sure about the market or what you want to do. Granted you can find out more information about it, but I highly do not recommend diving into the pool if you don't know how deep it is.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:30 PM
pete

I'm a reseller at http://www.lypha.com. Frankly, I just got set up that way so I could run a bunch of sites for myself, I've never attempted to sell any. But, the opportunity is there, they have a forum for those who wish to resell and you can start for $ 19.95 or so a month.

It's competitive. The best way to go is to find a niche and develop an estore for pet shops, or florists, or whatever. Then go to the forums they visit and let it be known you can supply a turnkey solution. Don't get into the Hosting is so much, Software is so much, etc. Just have a turnkey price and sell the package.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Mukesh:

You might try running keywords through Wordtracker.com to determine if there any niche markets you can hit. For $7 you get a one day license and can research keywords to identify the level of competition. More importantly, you can find sub-niches that have less traffic, but also less competition. Use one of the phrases as part of your domain and meta tags.

Google should list you fairly high on the front page. Of course, it can take them a few months to acknowledge your existence, but eventually they will. You can spead up the process by publishing articles on sites like isnare.com, ezinearticles.com and valuablecontent.com. The Googlebot appears to run through the sites at least once a week.

All that being said, the hosting market is a tough one.

Good luck,

SDLawyer
Old 02-17-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Be careful

THe competition out there for hosting is huge, you need a big competitive advantage. Good Luck.

http://www.bcmoney.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshnuna
hey friends...i want to be reseller in web hosting.....!
But i dunno, how to start, and where to go. if somebody cud teach me all the basics 1 by 1, i wud appreciate it.

cause, later i think of starting of my own web design business, and for that i wud also need web hosting, but no idea on reselling. Like how to get the plans I need, how much charges, how to provide hosting to my customers, what to charge them, stuff like that.

thanks !
Mukesh
Old 02-17-2005, 01:05 PM

Reseller hosting can be rewarding if you do it right. Just do enough research the problems that come with the business in this industry.

Christoph
Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 PM

hosting isn't as easy as it sounds, definitely take a look at what you're getting into ahead of time,