Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
sk8ramp

So that's your advice? Use freewebs? That is better than an independent site where I control SEO?

James I am starting to think you just like scaring and confusing people with all your security warnings because you don't like anyone that can do it on their own instead of hiring you.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 PM
JamesW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ramp View Post
That is better than an independent site where I control SEO?
If your talking about your content and your marketing... and your using a bloatware CMS which is still rolling out serious security upgrades... then your better off with a service...

What exactly do you think seo is?

Quote:
James I am starting to think you just like scaring and confusing people with all your security warnings because you don't like anyone that can do it on their own instead of hiring you.
I'm not here to find work... that should be glaringly obvious to you...

Also... you CAN do it on your own... in fact you ARE doing it on your own... but your perhaps taking the wrong route... that's all I'm suggesting...

There are plenty of people who offer CMS hosting... freewebs happens to be one of them... remove the ads and it only costs you about $35.00 a year... plus... you don't have to spend the next few days installing a secure cms and keeping upto date with the security fixes... and when you and your mom stop speaking to each other... she still has a website which she can maintain herself without having to worry about being hacked...

But... I will admit... freewebs is rather an upsetting choice for me to use to illustrate this... because I know they will do their best to get you going on their 30.00 a month plan... but there are tons of services available... you just have to look...

Don't let shoddy open source developers dump their crap on you... it's not worth it... jmo... having had to overhaul many open source packages in the past...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
sk8ramp

If you are claiming to be here to help people then I have to tell you that you're not very good at it. Thanks for all your constructive input on my crappy site that is going to get hacked though.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
JamesW

Quote:
If you are claiming to be here to help people then I have to tell you that you're not very good at it. Thanks for all your constructive input on my crappy site that is going to get hacked though.
It's your mom's site...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
sk8ramp

Thanks James, I am not really sure why you are harping on the fact that it was for my mom but I get the feeling you think I am lying for some reason. If that is the case go to readyramps.com and look at the first name on the contact page then go back and look at the Real Estate site, same last name.

And seriously if you think I did all this to spam for Open Realty then please take a look at my history here and the other threads I've started and decide for yourself.

It must get tiring to live a life so full of cynicism and negativity, good luck with that.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
JamesW

Quote:
It must get tiring to live a life so full of cynicism and negativity, good luck with that.
Look... Your entirely missing my point... There is nothing wrong with your ready ramps site...

It's actually what I think is an okay website... you didn't see me harping on you about that one did you... I think it's great...

What your not getting is that I have Already downloaded Open Realty... I've already looked through the code... I've already read the developer notes... I'm trying to steer you away from a bad move... that's all...

There are much better options available to you... for your mom... the service sounds about right...

If your going to develop... stay away from the bloatware CMS's... go with something lighter or more multi-purpose like a framework...

I can't advise you on a good cms because I've ended up disliking all of them I've ever used... but there are better ones... and I can certainly pick out the flaws with the ones I can get my hands on...

If your going to learn to make websites... choose a cms which is not specialized for an industry... they all boil down to the same thing in the end... a means to make webpages...

And my cynicism and negatively is a direct result of watching too many people subscribe to some strange positivity movement where real world concerns mean nothing and "the self" is all that matters... at the expense of everyone around them...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
JamesW

I looked for hours... and for you... I think this would be the perfect cms to learn and use when your starting out...

http://snewscms.com/

Why???

Because it has one single file which would be easier to manage... it has very few bells and whistles and has basically only the stuff you need... and the wyswyg editor is 40kb add on...

I'm not saying it doesn't have security flaws... and I've never used it... but I've obviously been nasty and less than helpful... so... this is something that would put you in a position to learn and grow instead of burn-out and deal with over-complicated bloatware... and other developers messes... this is what I would suggest you try...

I've never used it... I don't necessarily endorse it... but for all intensive purposes it doesn't look half bad...

the snewscms code is uncomplicated... and it's compact and it makes sense... in fact you could probably have the whole system figured out from beginning to end pretty quickly... and it has alot of documentation and what seems to be some good help files... which are alot better than the majority of "Help My Website Got Hacked" open source user forums...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
sk8ramp

Thanks James for the link I will give it a whirl, sorry again if I came off bad there, after reading this again I realize you were just trying to help.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM

I haven't had many problems with either FCK or tinyMCE and I've used them in several sites and tested in almost every modern browser, along with IE6.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Re:

Using SAAS allows you to use authorized software from another end. There aren't any hidden charges like installing servers or paying for licensing so on.