Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > STARTING A BUSINESS > 01 - Small Business Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Small Business Introductions Tell us about your Small Business -- Sponsored By: Opportunity World Magazine
Featured Opportunity: Starscapes - Make $1,500 a Week
Featured Opportunity: Judgement Recovery Business

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Default Joining a chamber of commerce?

I'm running a photography business that's now about 2 years old. I understand that some of the most valuable contacts to acquire are other businesses. In a limited sense, I've also known this to be true. However, the challenge remains of attempting to make those contacts. I've been told that a chamber of commerce is a great place to make those contacts since they hold regular business mixers as well as encourage members to do business with each other.

The dues can be fairly high. My question is whether anyone's joined a chamber and whether it really did improve their business contacts leading more customers?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Value of Chambers

If your local or regional Chambers have memberships that appear to be worthwhile for getting clients/prospects, then try to trade your dues for services. They usually do events where photos are taken: ie. golf outings, installation dinners, etc.

This will gain you some exposure.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 AM

interesting
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Welcome to the forum...I have to agree that you should evaluate what the Chamber has to offer in exchange for your dues. If you think your revenue will increase more than your dues, go for it!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vivid Color Zack

I think it depends on how impacted your industry is in your area. Find out if there are already a bunch of photographers in your local chamber. If there are, you are going to have to offer something they aren't already giving the rest of the members. Free cookies or something.

I know as a printing company we came in to a chamber with about 4 other printing companies and a few small marketing firms. We just weren't able to sway any customers because everyone already had a relationship with the other people who were already members. Also for us as a company run by young people (recent college grads, 22 and 23 years old) we had a very hard time being taken seriously.

I think it just depends on your industry and you as a person too. If you think you can go in there and make friends with everyone then I think you should go for it.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 AM

hi first of all welcome to the forum anyway i haven't join in a chamber of commerce therefore i dont have any idea about it..
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mozzy

We're surrounded by fifteen cities where our business is nestled so it definitely wasn't realistic to pay the fee to join all those cities chambers of commerce. So what I did was join a well established networking group that covers our state. Through them I found contacts that knew which chambers were best suited to my needs and found out that some chambers were comprehensive over other chambers. This was vital information and even though I had to pay to join the networking group and then a few chambers, it allowed me to weed out the ones that were redudant to join or really didn't work for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:15 PM

I just joined the chamber of commerce in my town. I don't know how good it will be, but a buddy of mine that does the same type of work was a member and he had more work than he could handle due to his relationships built through the chamber of commerce.

Our membership fee was based on how much money our business makes. As we are new, it was affordable to get in.

I will let you know how it goes in a couple of months.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Default I am also a photographer

I think it depends on what type of photography you are after. If it's business and advertising the chamber might be good. Its it's babies and children, it's not the best place to attract the attendtion of those who buy that kind of photography, which is women. I have been a photographer for over 30 years and build a reputation as a sought after portrait photographer in S.C, N.C. & Ga. I have tried everything and I know what works and what doesn't for photography. If you would like any information let me know. Dennis Munn, dennismunn@hotmail.com
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Default There's not a single answer

I don't think it's as simple as it sounds. Each CofC is different and so it's not possible to say "Is it worth it?". I'm afraid it's down to good old personal research. The local chamber should let you know who's a member locally, so you could try some simple phone calls to see who's got what out of it.....

S