Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 01 - Sales & Marketing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Sales & Marketing Sales Strategy & Marketing Tips
Host a Radio Show: wsRadio.com - The Worldwide Leader in Internet Talk
Social Media Help: Professional Podcasting for Your Business

Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Mgirl

Default Very Basic Graphic Design: Help!

Hi there,

I want to design some small tiles for an upcoming website, to be featured on the Homepage. They will be mainly text based, things like:
  • On Sale
  • We Recommend Windows Media Player

That sort of thing. Generic tiles that i can upload at appropriate times.

I am no expert in graphic design, so they will most likely be text based. Most important thing is that they convey information.

A couple of questions:
  1. I currently have Photoshop CS3 installed - can i create text-based files that i can upload onto the web, in this?
  2. Do i need to install Adobe Illustrator CS3?
  3. What is the best program (to your knowledge) for creating web-based graphics?
  4. Is there a free program that i can download to fulfil these requirements?
  5. Is there a particular format i need to save graphics files in for the web?
  6. Can i save it as a JPEG file? Is this okay for the web?

I am really a noobie at this and i would like to save some money, instead of going to a designer and paying $100.00 per hour.

Thanks in advance, i hope you can help me.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM

1. If you mean text in an image then yes
2. Nope, I think thats just for animations
5. Not really, I like using PNG files but they don't work well in IE6
6. yes that is fine
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Mgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperChill
1. If you mean text in an image then yes
Hi ViperChill,

Thanks for your reply.

By "image", do you mean "photograph" or an imported image (picture) such as a logo?

If i get the layers of the logo (which i am going to get), can i do some funky design in Photoshop (eg., cut the logo up a bit, insert text)?

Is Photoshop an actual graphics design package? I thought it was more for photos...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM

One of the forum members offers a free graphic design service...

Visit: www.freeforalldesigns.com

Please do note - I understand this is a free design service however it never hurts to pay what you can afford...
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM

1. You can design these panels in PS just fine.

2. You don't need illustrator though they can be used together for certain effects and control.

3. and 5. Photoshop is the best for web graphics. Be sure you use the web color pallet for accurate color. When you save the files you can use 'save for web' and a saving panel will open that will allow you to set the file type ( GIF, jpg, PNG etc.) in that panel you can optimize the graphics file sizes and see the results real time before you save them. .Jpgs are generally best for photos or images with lots of detailed color. GIF images are usually best for simple colored things like logos or text with simple backgrounds. Gifs can also utilize transparent colors which means you can select any color and turn it transparent so the background can come through. PNG files tend to be a little larger then jpgs and gifs and they are not as widely supported. I prefer them however because they have true alpha transparency which means the colors can be represented in percentages and appear see through.

4. There is no need for a free program especially if you already have PS.

6. Jpgs are extremely common on the web' so yes they are fine to use.

If you get stuck and need some assistance just pm me and I'll help you out.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 PM

I forgot to add that you want to be sure and work in a resoltion of 72 dpi. That's the standard for web graphics. You set this when you create a new file in ps. You can also adjust an existing file by using the image size function. You can always reduce a file from a larger resolution with no change to image quality but if you enlarge a resolution you will get a blurry image that will degrade exponentially the more you enlarge it.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
bill benson

To clarify one or two things: jpg and gif are the two most common image formats on the web. An image is just what it sounds like. It could be photo, logo, etc. It can also contain text. An image is made up of little dots called pixels. Just like your TV screen. Those little dots can make up a photo or make up a word. 72 dpi mentioned above is 72 dots per inch. The more dpi, the larger the file size and the longer the page load time.

HTML tells the web browser to display "something". It could be an image, it could be a word. Images are very large in file size. Text is very small in file size.

You can use HTML to display text over an image. It appears as if the text is part of the image. This is usually done using CSS to position the text. The reason to do this is Search Engines such as Google can read html text. They can't see text in an image as it is just a bunch of color dots.

I hope I didn't over complicate this for you. And yes, you can have an image with text. You can do that with PhotoShop. You don't need any of the other programs mentioned. Photos work better saved as jpg, logo's and other things are frequently saved as gif's. Gif's have the advantage that they are frequently smaller in file size and can be saved as "transparent". That means that in the case of a logo, the blank space between letters (or whatever) lets whatever is below it to be displayed.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Mgirl

Thanks guys for your replies. I will get back to this thread in a day or two, have been busy working out hosting specs etc.

Jonneebee, i will definately PM you if i need any help

Martine
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM

If you are looking for Graphics and image editor, you can use ReaConverter wonderful software for that.With the help of this photo editing software software we can edit a lot of Graphics Images at once very quickly and without any hassle.I have nice experience of working with it's. I recommended to all those people who have the bunch of graphics images for same formatting and editing process. batch image converter

Last edited by adrian_in9@yaho : 10-30-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM

If it's really that basic and you would rather not take all the time to figure it out yourself, you could always try getting it done on Fiverr. It would only cost you $5 and you can often get some really good work done on there, surprisingly.