Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > STARTING A BUSINESS > 04 - The Business Plan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04 - The Business Plan Writing & Using a Business Plan

Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM

When I contacted them years ago, when I started my business, I had a very specific question, which was how I could improve my chances of getting federal contracts. The person that responded from SCORE was not helpful at all. He basically said that I needed to provide him far more information before he could help me. I had told him a little about the company, our products, etc. and he didn't really give me any advice nor any specifics about what more information he needed. He did suggest applying for 8a status. We tried that two or three times but it was the biggest PITA ever and we never did get it, which is odd because our company headquarters and almost all employees are on an Indian reservation and the owner and most employees were enrolled tribal members.

From the responses here, it sounds as if it is hit or miss, so maybe I will try again now that I am starting up a new company. I have a few weeks left with my old company still, but maybe I will have time to give this another shot once I am only working for the new start-up. Hope I have better luck this time.
"Technology for a better world"
Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco
I went to the local SCORE when I started my business a few years ago and it was worthless. They just gave me a printed document on starting a business in Pennsylvania which I had already found in PDF format on the web months earlier. So, I guess it's hit or miss depending on how qualified the person you talk to is.
I am from PA. I thought the SBA and SCORE was crap. However I emailed back and forth a member of SCORE that called me out of the blue. That was nice. Everything else was crap.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:20 PM

This week I'm meeting with the local SCORE chair about being a counselor. Since I'm in such a small town there aren't many, if any, counselors that have knowledge with e-commerce so I'm hoping to be able to help.
[url]www.GetAHatOn.com[/url] * [url]www.TheHatSite.com[/url] * [URL="http://www.aaronhats.com/blog"]Aaron's Hat Blog[/URL] * [URL="http://www.getahaton.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=130"]Indiana Jones Hats[/URL]
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM

According to me SCORE is a good option.

I have not dealed with it, but Known some people with its experience.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM

I guess it would depend solely on who you got as your SCORE mentor. I have a friend who suggested I do this. He is getting ready to have his meeting in a few days. I will post on how it went for him.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm a SCORE mentor (just recently became one, so I might not be able to answer all of your SCORE questions).

You have to keep things in perspective. SCORE is a non-profit organization that provides FREE services, of course it's going to be "hit or miss." You shouldn't be surprised if SCORE can't answer all of your questions and calling them "useless" is unfair. As far as I'm concerned, SCORE is one of the most efficient and effective non-profits in the country. Look at all the responses to this thread, overall, the responses are positive.

If your an established company and you have complex questions about research and development or other highly specialized problems, SCORE is probably not for you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check them out anyways. What do you have to lose? It's FREE.

Where SCORE excels is with the fundamentals. No matter what kind of business you're trying to start, the fundamentals are all the same. Are you prepared? Do you have experience with your idea? Can you provide value for your customers? These are all questions that SCORE can help you answer.

If you live in a rural area, you may find that the local SCORE chapter only has 3 to 6 mentors. And in todays rapidly changing markets, a small chapter is not going to have all the answers.

Here in Maryland we have 6 chapters (I think it's 6, maybe 5) with well over two hundred mentors throughout the state. These mentors have very impressive resumes and backgrounds, and having FREE access to them is something very special and you should try to take advantage of it.

For those of you that live in rural areas, try calling the larger chapters within your state and see if you can get all of your questions answered over the phone. Some of the larger chapters also provide services that allow you to ask questions through email, try that as well if you're not satisfied with your local chapter.

Good luck.

Last edited by nmarti : 09-26-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot to spell check.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up Hi there looby dubby!

Wow thats really interesting. Thnx for sharing!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I went to the local SCORE when I started my business a few years ago and it was worthless.
I think the idea is that they give advice. They don't do any work for you. Also, they keep an eye on what's happening in business by talking with new entrepreneurs.

You have to keep in mind that these days business changes so fast that someone retired is probably not going to have up to date information for you. But, they can still answer general questions.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drannmaria View Post
When I contacted them years ago, when I started my business, I had a very specific question, which was how I could improve my chances of getting federal contracts. The person that responded from SCORE was not helpful at all. He basically said that I needed to provide him far more information before he could help me. I had told him a little about the company, our products, etc. and he didn't really give me any advice nor any specifics about what more information he needed.
I've been told that SCORE has to remit information about who they have helped so they can get their funding. That's why they ask for so much information about your business.

I've tried them a few times. It seems the system gets in the way of the advisors being able to help people.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarti View Post
What do you have to lose?
Time! The most valuable thing there is.