Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 05-16-2008, 07:32 PM
sk8ramp

Well on the wysiwyg I uploaded both of the ones you mentioned and also Xinha and in the admin CP I can just switch between them all very easily to use whichever I want.

If you upload the others and go to Admin CP/Site Config/Editor Html you can choose between them all.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 PM
JamesW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ramp View Post
If you upload the others and go to Admin CP/Site Config/Editor Html you can choose between them all.
Most wordpress users seem to use the TinyMCE... I'm not that familiar with it... the FCK is pretty good...

The only thing I don't like about the fck is that it's entirely written in javascript ( even the language translation ) and it can take a few seconds for either to load... the tinyMCE seems to be a bit faster... the fck editor can take forever... especially the way it pulls up a dialog window... it request something like 10 or 12 files from your server to do it... it's pretty ridiculous...

Never heard of the other one you mentioned...

Anyways... here's a link to what I was talking about regarding the WYSIWYG editors not actually being able to edit anything... in essence they are huge wrappers for the browsers built in functionality...

http://www.htmlarea.com/
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
sk8ramp

James you're speaking German at this point. I wish I could understand what you're saying and I will try to re read this thread later so I can heed your advice, but right now I am more worried about wether or not the Celtics can finally win a playoff game on the road.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM
JamesW

Quote:
James you're speaking German at this point. I wish I could understand what you're saying and I will try to re read this thread later so I can heed your advice, but right now I am more worried about wether or not the Celtics can finally win a playoff game on the road.
oh...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM
JamesW

anyways... here are some alternatives in case you change your mind...

http://www.reportalmgmt.com/?gclid=C...FSU-QQodtxDDog

http://www.z57.com/login.cfm

http://www.venuecom.com/design/about/

just offering alternatives...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
sk8ramp

I'm sorry James I didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't heeding what you are saying. I just really don't get the tech speak.

What I meant was that I am sure you know way more than me on this subject, to the point where I don't even really get what you are trying to tell me.

Like you said, in time I will probably understand what you mean, but right now I am well beneath your knowledge. To the point where I can't really grasp your advice, which I am sure is solid.

Thank you for taking the time to try and point out some things to me on this subject, and I am really sorry if you thought I was being rude.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 PM
JamesW

Quote:
What I meant was that I am sure you know way more than me on this subject, to the point where I don't even really get what you are trying to tell me.
I don't really care... your going to do what you want anyways... right? It's not like it's a website for your mom... it's obviously a website for yourself...

I'm not trying to tell you that I've been down your road... or that I know more... I'm just giving you the straight and narrow... I didn't mean for you to take offense to it...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM
sk8ramp

James it has nothing to do with me just doing what I want no matter what you tell me. It is that I can only do what I can do, and I don't have the skills you have. I had to struggle with learning a ton of new things and then failing a few times before I could even get this site to where it is.

And no it's not a site for me, think what you may but I am not that egotistical. I would love to be able to build it perfectly, paying attention to all you have warned about, but I am taking baby steps.

You talking to me about web design is like me telling you how to build a pyramid with a 5 stair and Bauer rail
Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
JamesW

Quote:
I would love to be able to build it perfectly, paying attention to all you have warned about, but I am taking baby steps.
You don't have to pay attention to anything except the security... but you don't have to really worry about that if you don't want to...

Here's somebody who just went on and on about how great their joomla installation is... how easy it is to use... ect...

Here's what their inability to keep up with security updates does to their website...

http://www.jezza101.co.uk/comment.php?reply.news.17.18

Here's the full post...

http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...aa598b543196b#

If I took my frustration out on you for the thousands of other people who contribute to the spam problem daily and then encourage other people to do the same... well... I apologize then...

But really... I'm just trying to persuade you to use an online service... there are plenty of them... Look... here's a free one...

http://members.freewebs.com/

You'll never have to worry about installing or maintaining software again...

The truth is... if you do get a hacked... you'll probably never know about it... and your mother will actually be way worse off than if she went with a free website service.

So... yes... I am actually giving you the best advice possible... although originally I thought you were setting up a business other than your mothers...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
JamesW

Quote:
You talking to me about web design is like me telling you how to build a pyramid with a 5 stair and Bauer rail
If I made it out of gypsum board and set it up in the skate park...

Would you advise me not to?