Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02 - Web Site Management Creating & Managing an Effective Business Web Site
Featured Service: NoMoreWebMasters.com
Featured Service: 1&1 Web Hosting - 90 day money back guarantee

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Default .com or .net?

The name of my business is The Top Drawer. I have decided to go through GoDaddy.com because of positive feedback about this company. Unfortunately, the .com and .net for that name is already taken. So, my question is:

Which would be a smarter move?

www.yourtopdrawer.net (costs $12.99 p/y)

www.thetopdrawer-lingerie.com (costs $9.99 p/y)

www.thetopdrawer.net (which is backordered for $18.99 p/y) I'm hesitant to go with this because the price could increase according to demand.

Thanks for you advice.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM

I would rather go for the .net name. The .com one is just a little too difficult to remember. Don't let the initial registration cost be your only consideration for a long-term decision like this!

Do you already have hosting for the domain?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM

Choose one that has both versions available - and buy them both. You don't want your competition to snap up the other one!

Then, use the .com version, and if you can, ask your hosting company to set up a 301 Permanent Redirect from the .net version to the .com version.

If you cannot for some reason, just keep the .net version so nobody else can get their hands on it.

If you are serious about keeping this business running - buy both for 5 years. It shows intent, plus it's cheaper in the long run.

Is 'topdrawer.com' available. It's easier to remember. Don't let GoDaddy sell you a hundred other things on the way through checkout. They are famous for that. If you are using Yahoo for hosting, they probably offer many of those things too - like large email accounts etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Intelestream.net Send a message via Skype™ to Intelestream.net

I agree. Go with .net and buy the other one as a redirect. Our company is .net as many more are becoming these days. The simpler the name and address, the better. Also, to help people remember your company's address, be sure to include the domain in all sales and marketing communications. For example, if your company is called Acme and the domain is acme.net, always refer to your company as acme.net in your newsletters, blog, etc. This is especially true if you are in e-commerce, which it seems you are.
Good luck!

Intelestream Inc. leverages Open Source technology to enhance sales, marketing, and CRM business processes.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to derekanders

also just so you know, people make a living off of domain names and you might not want to post your domain that you are planing to buy so the world can see it. someone might just snatch it up and sell it back to you for a quick profit.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Warning on seaching for domains. If you search through a big host like Godaddy or NetworkSolutions you will find that if you do not purchase it right away it will go on hold or get purchased by somebody else.

so make sure you buy anything you are considering or use a lesser known website where people do not make a living off of stealing domains from people.

Oh, and if you are only going to have one domain, make sure it is the .Com.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM

ttdlingerie.com is available.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:07 AM

I agree with Carolyn.

You should go with where both are available i.e. .com and .net
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Default re

High Availability Servers – Businesses stake their names on their reliability and availability, so their servers should absolutely do the same. Servers should provide a good balance of robust server hosting and network load balancing.
http://www.managed.com/saas/